These are just a few suggestions from some upperclassmen. Bring things that will make you feel the most at home! Please look up what is and what is not allowed in the dorm rooms, for instance, NO microwaves, hot plates or drip coffee makers (Keurigs and other pod based coffee machines are allowed)
Please note that the only pets allowed in Ryan are non-carnivorous fish!
Things to discuss with your roommate:
- Carpet (the floor in Ryan is tiled so rugs are great for keeping feet warm in the winter)
- Other small furniture
For all furniture discuss whether you want to bring it from home or purchase it once you’ve arrived in South Bend
Supplies Shopping in South Bend:
Check out Bed Bath and Beyond’s pick up program. You can order items at your home BB&B and pick them up at the BB&B in South Bend.
South Bend also has a Super Target, Costco, Sam’s Club, and Walmart for all your supply needs.
Some Notre Dame must haves:
- A few dresses for formal dances
- Fun, crazy clothes for themed dances (pirate, disco, America, 80’s etc. Or you can always stop by Salvation Army during the year to find these)
- Warm clothes for the winter
- As much blue, gold and green as possible…for football games or any day you want to show your ND pride
For a complete list click here. The following are just commonly asked about or forgotten items.
- Shower sandals
- Rain boots: ND sidewalks are known to have standing water
- Sturdy winter boots
- Warm winter coat: it has been known to snow in October so don’t wait until Thanksgiving to bring your coat
- Business casual & Business formal outfits: the career center hosts plenty of interviews and recruitment events during the year for which appropriate attire is required
Bedding and Linens:
- Sheets: twin extra-long
- Mattress Pad
- 3M Command Strip Hooks or 3M adhesive strips: you CANNOT use nails, push pins, scotch or duct tape on the walls, the paint will rip off (masking tape is okay)
- Paper towels
- Paper plates
Note: Ryan has a laundry room with plenty of washers and dryers but there is also the option to get your laundry done through St. Michael’s Laundry service. For more information, check out their website here!
- Drying rack
- Laundry bag
- Laundry basket
- Detergent and bleach
- Fabric softener
- Dryer sheets
- Quarters: Wash/Dry one load is about $3, but you can do a load for $2.50 if you use Domer Dollars (for more info about Domer Dollars and other campus payment systems click here)
- Bike & bike lock!: there are bike racks both in front of and behind Ryan in addition to plenty spread out around campus. It’s important to bring a lock, U-locks are recommended!